The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport have updated their guidelines to include saunas and steam rooms, which are now permitted to open.
The UK Spa Association have announced the fantastic news that saunas and steam rooms in England can reopen with immediate effect. Following months of lobbying, the guidance for saunas and steam rooms has been published in the Department for Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport’s Providers of Grassroots Sport and Gym/Leisure Facilities section of Working Safely During Coronavirus and NOT in the Close Contact Services guidance.
‘Working Safely During Coronavirus: providers of grassroots sport and gym/leisure facilities‘ outlines the following under 2.1.3. Contact while using facilities:
Adapting and enabling spaces
Where possible you need to adapt and enable spaces to facilitate appropriate social distancing, including government guided spacing markings on the floor at points of assembly including entrances, foyers and reception spaces.
Specifically for saunas and steam rooms:
- Maximum capacity should be restricted to 50%. For example, a sauna designed for 4 people should only be used by 2 people at the same time.
- Facilities should operate with 2m social distancing, including marked seating points in each room.
- Guests should be given fixed times and staggered slots to enter the sauna or steam room. For example, a sauna with a normal capacity for 4 individuals offers an appointment time of 12.00 – 12.15. Up to 2 individuals may book this slot. They must arrive at 12.00. They may leave and re-enter at any time but the sauna must be vacated by everyone at 12.15.
- Where technically possible, increase air flow and air changes to the maximum possible.
- Ensure that saunas, steam rooms and any equipment are cleaned regularly, at the beginning and end of the day and at regular intervals in-between, determined by the risk assessment
To access the full guidelines, click here.
Please help to spread the word, to ensure the message reaches all spas, by sharing this news across your social media accounts.