As the Film & TV industry is expected to return to work, the Broadcasting, Entertainment, Communications and Theatre Union (BECTU) have shared their mobile guidelines with British Beauty Council, with specific recommendations available for freelance hair stylists and makeup artists.
The Broadcasting, Entertainment, Communications and Theatre Union (BECTU) has compiled detailed guidance on their definition of safe-working practices in the context of social distancing rules being in place at work. BECTU’s guidance to its members intends to provide supporting documentation so they can make an informed choice.
These guidelines have been prepared in consultation with the Department for Digital, Culture Media and Sport (DCMS) with input from crew and crew representatives, industry bodies, unions and the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and in consultation with Public Health England (PHE) and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
This guidance should be read in conjunction with the latest UK Government guidance. Productions based in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales should additionally check for the relevant devolved Government guidance as it may differ.
This document is a working document and will be updated regularly, so please save and use the link and view the document this way to keep up to date with the information and advice.
Please see below highlights from BECTUs guidelines for Hair & Makeup artists in Film & TV Production, as reference on page 69 of the recovery plan.
General H&M Health & Safety Guidelines
- A fully trained, dedicated H&S officer to work within the HMU dept
- All HMU team to be FULLY trained in latest HSE H&S COVID19 guidelines
- Departmental H&S briefing at the start of each workday
- All HMU workstations 2M apart
- Workstations and area to be cleaned/sanitized between each cast* member
- All HMU workshops/trailers/offices/
crowd rooms/fitting rooms/On set HMU standby area/ transport to be FULLY cleaned and sanitized – minimum x2 per day
- All HMU Areas to be equipped with multiple sanitising, sterilising, air purifying equipment– UV cabinets/Autoclave/Barbicide etc
- All HMU Areas to be equipped with hazard waste disposal bins and H&S signage
- Where possible use single use tools/equipment (e.g. lip brush, gowns, towels)
- All equipment per station to be kept at a minimum
- All incoming hires/equipment/deliveries to be FULLY sanitised in HMU Cleaning zone
- Multiple hand washing/sanitizing stations in all HMU areas
- All cast* members to wash/sanitise hands before hair/makeup appointment
- HMU Artist to wash/sanitise hands between each cast* member and during application/styling
- HMU Artist to use/wear enhanced PPE when working in close contact** with cast*
- Enhanced PPE to be changed between each hair/make-up appointment
- When creating HMU chart for cast* member add H&S guidelines/steps
- Each cast member allocated own make-up/hair products – stored in sealed bags and sterilised daily
- Tech communication with other departments – via Facetime/Zoom/Radios/Monitors’
- ONLY HMU department members allowed in HMU area unless given permission or have an official appointment booked via acting departmental supervisor. All movement to be logged